Sunday, October 12, 2014

Fall matters - school's in

I've been quiet on this blog, due to an April move from Woodstock, Ill. to Columbia, S.C. Having settled here, I am certainly meeting a lot of parents and counselors who are deeply involved with students' IEPs.

In the absence of my personal involvement in a family member's schooling (because he "aged out" of special education), I have questioned my continuing involvement. Perhaps the best service I can offer now is supportive consulting and encouragement to students and parents.

It can be summed up in three words. "Never. Give. Up." Never give up on your child. Never, as in "no matter what".

Back in McHenry County, Ill., the Special Education District of McHenry County (SEDOM) is about to bite the dust. They cite dwindling enrollment. Well, their "enrollment" came from the public schools in McHenry County.

Some of the larger schools (ex., Woodstock District 200) began pulling out several years ago. I also thought it was strange that D-200 pulled out when its own Superintendent was the chairperson of SEDOM. Now there's a way to support an organization you chair. Right?

I'll be the first to admit that I am not qualified to analyze whether the former SEDOM students are getting the same or better services at D-200, for the same or less money. With the pay scales at D-200, I can hardly imagine that cost-per-student went down or that specialized services at the same level as SEDOM were provided.

Good luck to the parents in finding the right services in McHenry County.

No comments: